Thursday, April 24, 2014

Many Interests but Few Passions

When I look at 40 years of my life I realize that I have many interests but few passions.  I suppose most everyone would come to this conclusion but when this thought came to me today I decided to take inventory of my life.

First, I am passionate about God.  Perhaps not as passionate as I should be but he is such a major part of my life and thought process that it is impossible to make it through a day without thinking about what the Father and his son Jesus mean to my very existence.  God has given me the ability to avoid pitfalls, love others and have the confidence of spending eternity in the comfort and peace of his protection.  I can see God in the most simple, loving and nurturing way.  Just as a child would see a father, yet at the same time I can also see him as the most complex, holy, powerful and unchanging being. Even if given a thousand lifetimes I could not comprehend his vast knowledge, wisdom and strength.  When God speaks to me, he speaks primarily through the scriptures, circumstance and others. Last night as a lay awake in bed I prayed, "Are you still there? Are you still waiting for me?"  The answer was "I will never leave you nor forsake you."  It came to mind because I had memorized it from scripture.  He had already spoken this to me many years ago and I just had to recall it.  Some people get all wrapped up in listening for and audible voice which God will do on occasion but I am happy with what he has already told me.
I am passionate about God.

Next, I am passionate about my family.  Again probably not as passionate as I should be but none the less I am still very passionate about them. I have a desire to love them and for them to love me. I am interested in my kids and what they do at school, how they play sports and how they live their lives.   I love my wife who has given me two beautiful children and almost 20 years of bliss.  She has been there during stressful and difficult times to help me and encourage me.  Yes we have the occasional argument, but we have a great deal more meaningful and engaging conversations.  We have had awesome times of laughing over silly jokes and praying over serious matters.  I see so many other friends and relatives filing for divorce and I thank God for such a loving and understanding wife. I pray that God will continue his hedge of protection around my family.  The world will try to take my children from me and only God's protection will stop them. May God's blessings never end.
I am passionate about my family.

Finally I am passionate about creativity.  I love to see the creativity of God in nature.  Look at the artwork painted by God every day. The hummingbird's iridescent coloring, the splash of colors on a rainbow trout, shades of brown and rust on a deer among the forest trees and the warm color of the morning sunrise breaking through the clouds.  But there is more to creativity than just God's most noticeable paintings in nature.  God gave humans the ability to paint the morning sun, draw a rainbow trout,  take a photograph of a hummingbird and sculpt the deer standing in the forest.  As if all of these abilities were not enough he gave some the ability to sing his praises and play musical instruments to his glory. Creativity in us is a reflection of God's creativity. Perhaps this is one of the reasons that early puritans like Jonathan Edwards were so enamored with God's creation.
 I am passionate about creativity.

No comments:

Post a Comment